A while back I put cruising out of Venice on my bucket list. I really wanted to see the canals and such cruising in and out. While well planned, it wasn’t exactly executed due to the Acqua Alta (water rising above sea level causing Venice to flood) prior to our cruise. While MSC didn’t formally let anyone know we were changing ports I had been paying attention to multiple cruise pages and saw that most were going in and out of Trieste instead of Venice. I wasn’t overly upset because we’d been lucky enough to live about 40 minutes away from Venice about 10 years ago.
We flew into Venice two days before our cruise and chose to stay in Mestre instead of in Venice. It was close to the train station and not too far from the airport. I booked an AirBnB for the 2 nights that was big enough for the 6 of us and on return we stayed one night at the new Staycity in Mestre. Since we had originally planned to go into Venice we chose instead to go to Verona because their Christmas stuff had started for the season!
Here’s a quick run down of my cruise port plans:
- Bari- DIY, walk around the city, check out Basilica San Nicola
- Katakolon- Private tour with Katakolon Taxi https://www.katakolotaxi.gr/olympia-tour-half-day/
- Santorini- Private tour with photographer with Gold Street Travel http://www.goldstreetsostistravel.com.gr/private-tours/private-mini-bus-tours/
- Piraeus- Private tour with PK Travel https://www.pktravelgreece.com
- Corfu- DIY, shopping, old fort
- Kotor- DIY, old town, supermarket for beer for my husband
As you can see we did 1/2 tour and half on our own. We booked private since there was 6 of us traveling and I just find it a lot easier with the kids (9 and 10 during this cruise.